Wednesday 3 April 2013

Outdoor Table - Cable Spool





A friend of mine built this outdoor table, made solely from a large cable spool! I think it looks awesome, I just need to get my hands on a spool that big! Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the build however we did have a good chat about how he made it.



First off, he re-enforced the centre struts of the base to ensure structural rigidity when the other large circular piece was taken off. These larger spools have circular pieces inside the centre that he screwed each vertical plank to. He then drilled lots of screws into the underside of the main circle, this was done so that, when he hammered out all the nails that were protruding on the topside, everything stayed together. After hammering out all of the nails, he sanded the top down, this apparently took quite a while!

With a number of coats of bees wax the table came out like this! He said I was originally wanting to sand out the nail notches but I agree with him when he thinks them actually add to it all.








No comments:

Post a Comment